Review: Deity by Jennifer L. Armentrout



Title: Deity
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Genre: Mythology; Fantasy
Pages: 330 
Publication: November 16, 2012

Synopsis:
"History is on repeat, and things didn't go so well the last time. "

Alexandria isn't sure she's going to make it to her eighteenth birthday--to her Awakening. A long-forgotten, fanatical order is out to kill her, and if the Council ever discovers what she did in the Catskills, she's a goner... and so is Aiden. 

If that's not freaky enough, whenever Alex and Seth spend time "training"--which really is just Seth's code word for some up-close and personal one-on-one time--she ends up with another mark of the Apollyon, which brings her one step closer to Awakening ahead of schedule. Awesome. 

But as her birthday draws near, her entire world shatters with a startling revelation and she's caught between love and Fate. One will do anything to protect her. One has been lying to her since the beginning. Once the gods have revealed themselves, unleashing their wrath, lives will be irrevocably changed... and destroyed. 

Those left standing will discover if love is truly greater than Fate...

Deity was a non-stop action and plot packed book that I didn't want to ever put down. I read the first two books in this series within a week, but I had to wait a while before I was able to read this one, which was absolutely TERRIBLE.

This book is easily, so far, my favorite in the series. I loved everything that Jennifer did. She tied up so many plot points, but she also opened up so many new, interesting ones. Her story telling in this book was absolutely great. I loved the new additions she made to the story- the gods, more Apollyon stuff, and especially more Aiden and Alex romance. The plot twists in this book were jaw dropping. I did not expect any of these AT ALL. That's when you know your a good author, when you can surprise your readers like that. The cliffhanger ending of this book was THE WORST THING EVER. In a good way, of course. In all the books I have, I would place it right after Mark of Athena and Catching Fire. 

The best thing in this book, even in all of her books, were her characters' development. In this book, we finally get to see Alex let down some of those walls that she built to protect herself. She becomes more synchronized with her feelings, and that makes her so much stronger. We see Aiden in ways that we haven't really been able to see him in- completely romantic without hardly any restraints. And my favorite (but also least favorite) character development was Seth. In the books prior, Seth has been presented as someone who knows who he is and feels comfortable with himself, but in this book, it's almost like we get to see the real Seth. We get to see that fragility that Seth has, but never shows. We get to see how being the Apollyon has really put a strain on him. But in return, Seth has that breakdown of his sanity. It was like he finally snapped. And I felt bad for him. I love Seth. He's one of my favorite characters, and to see this happen to him was also why his development in this book was my least favorite.


I don't really have any complaints about this book.  Her writing flows very well, and the book itself is a very easy read. Plus, the story is brilliant. I just love how such a common genre in books (mythology) can be taken and written into something so unique. Deity by Jennifer L. Armentrout was fantastic, and, as I said, definitely the best book in the series.I would definitely recommend picking up this fantastic series.
This book gets 5/5 stars for its pure AMAZINGNESS.

I can't believe I have to wait until April for Apollyon!

Website  ~  Twitter  ~  Facebook  ~  Goodreads  ~  Amazon  ~  Barnes and Noble