Review: Prodigy by Marie Lu

Title: Prodigy
Author: Marie Lu
Genre: Science Fiction; Dystopian
Pages: Hardcover, 384
Publication: January 29, 2012

Synopsis:
June and Day arrive in Vegas just as the unthinkable happens: the Elector Primo dies, and his son Anden takes his place. With the Republic edging closer to chaos, the two join a group of Patriot rebels eager to help Day rescue his brother and offer passage to the Colonies. They have only one request—June and Day must assassinate the new Elector.

It’s their chance to change the nation, to give voice to a people silenced for too long. 

But as June realizes this Elector is nothing like his father, she’s haunted by the choice ahead. What if Anden is a new beginning? What if revolution must be more than loss and vengeance, anger and blood—what if the Patriots are wrong?

In this highly-anticipated sequel, Lu delivers a breathtaking thriller with high stakes and cinematic action.


When I first read Legend, I could not put it down. I finished it within less than a week, and Prodigy was no different. I could not put this book down. I read it when I ate, during class, and in between my classes. It was just that good.

One of the interesting things about dystopian books is the complex worlds that they take place in. The land that we know could be changed irrevocably or even gone completely in their world. The societies are completely different, and the people have evolved. The world of Legend is so much more elaborate than some other dystopians I've read. Not only is the physical aspect of the land different, but we get to see to what extent. And we also get to see how much society has changed. The Republic and the Colonies are on opposite sides of the spectrum, militaristic and commercial, but we still get to see both, which is the coolest part of Prodigy. We get to see its people and society to an extent we don't usually get to see in books.

The story in this book was even better than the first. It was complex and so elaborate, but so well written. The way things happened, it was genius on Marie Lu's part. She did an excellent job writing for June's side, with "assassinating" the Elector, and with Day's side, which was more of the soldier jobs. The story was SO much better than I thought it was going to be.

The character development, and just characters in general, were absolutely FANTASTIC in this book. It’s no secret that I love Day. He’s amazing and smart and supermegaawesomefoxyhot, but he REALLY irritated me in this book. The last half of the book was him being a complete jerk to June. (I mean, he had good reasons for them, but still.) But I really enjoyed his development throughout this book. His character got more depth. In Legend, we were introduced to him just as a character and then got to know his inner workings, while in Prodigy, we get to see him grow into an almost different person. (Also, I love how sensitive and sweet Day is. Just for the record.) The same goes for June. I think that she grows SO much as a character in this book. We get to see her sensitive side, which I love, and we get to see how much June really does care for Day. Also, I loved all the new characters we get to see in this book. And I loved that they had a story and development. I loved loved loved the Elector, Anden. And I'm going to call it right now, I sense a hardcore love triangle brewing in book 3. I loved that that the minor characters got HUGE development. We get to see more of Kaede, which I love, because she's so BA, and we also get to see more Tess. Although I didn't like her as character, I loved her development throughout the book. She becomes her own person and less dependent on others to take care of her.

I don't know why, but authors like to kill us with as many emotions as possible. Prodigy killed all my feelings of hope and happiness, but that's all I will say. OH MY GOD THAT ENDING. If you've read it, you know what I'm talking about. I have no idea what Marie Lu is going to do with that. Because this is something that can't be physically beaten. I just don't know. And it depresses me a lot. I'm just anxious to see how Lu goes with that plot line. I was reading the end in class, and I started crying BECAUSE THAT'S HOW SAD IT WAS, and I attracted some stares, so THANKS MARIE LU.

Overall, Prodigy was AMAZING. It was an action packed thriller that will have you reading until you finish the book. Legend was great, but Prodigy was even better, if that's even possible. Everyone needs to go out and buy this book series NOW. It's written fantastically, and everything is just so brilliant, and I love it so so so much.

10 MILLION STARS OUT OF 5.

Website  ~  Facebook  ~  Twitter  ~  Goodreads  ~  Buy on Amazon
Buy on BN