Top Ten Tuesday: Beginnings/Endings

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's TTT, was both my favorite AND most challenging. I had to pull my co-blogger, Haylie, to come and help me. All of these beginnings and endings we chose made us laugh, cry, and possibly throw the book into the corner of the room. (WE KEPT THEM AS SPOILER FREE AS POSSIBLE.)

Beginnings:
1. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green: "Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed, presumably because I rarely left the house, spent quite a lot of time in bed, read the same book over and over, ate infrequently, and devoted a lot of free time to thinking about death."

2. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hopkins: "My name is not Mara Dyer, but my lawyer told me I had to choose something. a pseudonym. a nom de plume, for all of us studying for the SAT's. I know that having a fake name is strange, but trust me - it's the most normal thing about my life right now."

3. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins: "Sitting at Prim's knee, guarding her, is the worlds ugliest cat. Mashed-in nose, one ear missing, eyes the color of rotting squash. Prim named him Buttercup, insisting that his muddy yellow coat matched the bright flower. He hates me."

4. City of Bones by Cassandra Clare: "'Meanwhile,'" Simon added, 'I wanted to tell you that lately I've been cross-dressing. Also, I'm sleeping with your mom. I thought you should know.'"

5. Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi: "I've been locked up for 264 days. I have nothing but a small notebook and a broken pen and the numbers in my head to keep me company. 1 window, 4 walls, 144 square feet of space, 26 letters in an alphabet I haven't spoken in 264 days of isolation. 6336 hours since I've touched another human being."

Endings:
1. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green: "You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world, old man, but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices. I hope she likes hers." (Gah. So many feels)

2. The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan: "'You are so going to lose.' She took off down Half-Blood Hill and I sprinted after her. For once, I didn't look back." (Oh Percy Jackson nostalgia, you are making a comeback.)

3. Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare: "And if the Thames that ran beside them, sure and silver in the afternoon light, recalled a night long ago when the moon shone as brightly as a shilling on this same boy and girl, or if the stones of Blackfriars knew the tread of their feet and thought to themselves" At last, the wheel comes full circle, they kept their silence." (*forever sobs*)

4. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins: "(insert major spoiler here)  END OF BOOK TWO" (This. Ending. What. The. Hell)

5. City of Glass by Cassandra Clare: "She looked as the fireworks exploded in a shower of sparks-- sparks that painted the clouds overhead as they fell, one by one, in streaking lines of golden fire, like angels falling from the sky."

Labels: , , , ,