YA/ Adult Crossovers

This Wednesday on Tea Time, hosted by Epic Reads, the girls discussed a very interesting topic that I've been thinking a lot about lately: YA/Adult crossover books. Basically, it's books that are written for the young adult audience, but could be read by adults and vice versa. I think anyone who loves YA fiction can agree that there are some books that are timeless and can be read by anybody, no matter their age. So, I compiled a list of a few of my all time favorite books that can be read by both adults and teens.

The Fault in Our Stars1. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green- Most everyone can agree that John Green's books can be read by any age, but this one in particular caught my attention. This book is beautifully written with a story that everyone needs to read. John Green writes experiences that pertain to everybody: first love, heartbreak, disease, death, and he does so brilliantly and seamlessly.

2. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak: When I first read it, I didn't believe it was a young adult book. It felt like a classic book that can stand the test of time. It tells us so much about human nature and what it means to be human.
Into the Wild

3. Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer- This book is an adult book based on the real life story of Chris McCandless. The man who walked into the wilds of Alaska and never looked back. I had to read this as my summer reading assignment last year and it really struck me. I don't know why, but this book has really stuck with me over the past year, and I love it. Young adults and adults who have a taste for adventure and have ever been misunderstood can relate to this story.

4. Divergent by Veronica Roth- I'm including this one because this story is written amazingly. The story is fast paced and very entertaining, and I think anyone can appreciate a story like that.
Night  (The Night Trilogy, #1)

5. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling- I think this one speaks for itself. The Harry Potter series is and always will remain timeless. It speaks to everyone no matter what age they are. Whether someone is 10, 16, 50, or 97, they will fall in love with the story.

The Outsiders6. Night by Elie Wiesel- When I read this story, it was eye opening. It opened me up to the cruelties and the realism of human nature and its tendencies. While incredibly sad, it's amazing. It's abrupt, shocking, and horrific, but real and emotional. I think everyone needs to read this book.

7. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky- This book is literally one of the best and most beautiful coming-of-age stories. 

8. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton- I honestly don't know what to say about this book. It's amazing in every single way. The characters, the story, the themes- all wonderful. You'll laugh, you'll cry and be forever in love with this book.


Watch the episode of Tea Time that inspired this post:


Labels: , , ,