Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is original weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
This week's topic:
Top Ten Books that you would suggest If You Like "X" TV show/movie/comic/play etc...
So, for my post, the TV show I have selected is Once Upon a Time.


Once Upon a Time is probably my favorite TV show at the moment. Sometimes I feel like I analyze and watch the show more than I read. So, for those of you who have no idea what Once Upon a Time is, it's a show about fairytale characters (and some classical literature) that live in the modern world in a town in Maine called Storybrooke. So, all of these books are basically fairytale or classical literature re-tellings/re-imaginings with a darker twist. However, I could only think of nine (Sorry!)

1. Cinder by Marissa Meyer
This book took a really interesting twist on the story of Cinderella. While Cinderella is not a major character in OUAT, it still reflects the darker fairytale style seen in Once.

2. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
I did not originally know this when I picked up the book, but Throne of Glass is actually a re-telling of Cinderella. (A very loose re-telling). I recommend this not only because Throne of Glass is probably one of my favorite fantasy books of all time, but because it has a really great fantasy aspect that goes right along with OUAT. Celaena reminds me a lot of pre-Charming Snow White-- tough and fierce and unwilling to love.

3. Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge
While I have not read this book, I've heard that it is a very dark re-imagining of the Beauty and the Beast tale. Once's version of Beauty and the Beast is simultaneously dark and sweet.

4. The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd
First of all, let me tell you how freaking much I love this book. It’s probably my favorite re-imagining. For those of you who haven't read this amazing book, it is a re-imagining of The Island of Dr. Moreau. Once Upon a Time also does re-imaginings of classical literature. So, for anyone who enjoys that aspect of Once, would love this book.

5. Her Dark Curiosity by Megan Shepherd
This is the second book in The Madman's Daughter series. While it has the same characters as the first book, it is a re-imagining of The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, which I absolutely LOVED. This book was much darker than the first, and so much more enjoyable. In addition to that, the third book in the series will be a re-imagining of Frankenstein, which has been used in Once Upon a Time.

6. Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson
For half of season three in Once Upon a Time, the Nevengers (Captain Hook, Regina, Emma, Charming, and Snow) fight the dangerous Peter Pan in the even more dangerous Neverland. The Neverland and Peter Pan story line in Once was absolutely my favorite thing that they have ever done. Tiger Lily is a re-imagining of the Peter Pan story with a love aspect, which shows a different side of the boy who never wants to grow up. It's absolutely amazing.

7. The Selection by Kiera Cass
While this is not a re-telling or re-imagining, it is still a fairytale-ish story. While it is lighter and fluffier than the rest of the books I have named on this list, it still reminds me of OUAT. Mainly Charming and Snow White's relationship before the first curse was enacted.

8. Graceling by Kristin Cashore
Graceling is a really amazing dark fantasy novel. The reason I added it to my list was that I felt that one relationship in the book reflected a really prominent relationship in Once. Katsa and Po's relationship really parallels that of Hook and Emma in OUAT. Both are hesitant of each other in the beginning, but learn to love each other later on. However, with Captain Swan, we're still waiting on that True Love's Kiss.

9. Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige
In light of recent events on OUAT, this fits perfectly. Once Upon a Time's most recent plot has to do with the Wicked Witch of the West, which really puts in a new spin on the Wizard of Oz tale. Nothing is as it seems, much like the plot in this book.




Labels: ,