A Week in Review: When the Going Gets Tough

Hey y'all! So this coming week is my finals week, and I'm stressing out. While I already have most of my stuff done, I still have to write an essay on Margaret Fuller (who is hella interesting) and study for my Psychology final. I can't wait for this week to be over. Then, FINALLY, I will be able to read for pleasure. These past few months have been dedicated to the books I had to read for school.

Me during finals week
Because of this, I thought that I would discuss the books I've bought, received, read, or studied this semester. Also, I think I'll also blog about some of the movies, music, and TV shows that I've been watching/listening to this semester.

I know that I haven't been posting on this blog, which is super sad. I really wish that I had had more time this semester to work on the blog. However, after finals week, I will have three weeks to read whatever I want, and I'm extremely excited. I don't even know where to begin.

This semester, I took an English class called Nineteenth Century American Women Writers. Super specific, I know. While I didn't enjoy the class, I loved a lot of the novels that we read. My favorites were definitely Little Women, which I had never read before this class, and Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl. While both of these novels show completely different types of women, it's very interesting that many characters have the same, fiery, and independent spirt, despite their societal limitations.

5ever wishing Jo and Laurie ended up together
Studied:
Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe
Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl by Harriet Jacobs
The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
A Voice from the South by Anna Julia Cooper
Redefining Realness by Janet Mock

Janet Mock being adorable with her book
I also took a Women's and Gender Studies class this semester. I absolutely loved this class. The first thing we read in this class was Redefining Realness by Janet Mock. It's an amazing book about Janet Mock, a trans woman, and her journey to become who she is today. Not only was it incredibly captivating, it was also both heartwarming and heartbreaking. If you're ever wanting to read a memoir, I definitely recommend Mock's book.

Bought:
In Real Life by Joey Graceffa
Binge by Tyler Oakley
Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins (look out for a review soon!)
Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay

Me reading Isla and the Happily Ever After
Received:
Juniors by Kaui Hart Hemmings (courtesy of Penguin Random House)

Like I said earlier, I haven't really had much time to read for pleasure, but I'm looking forward to checking out all the amazing books that I've bought or received.

Now, I'm going to move on to some movies, music, and TV that I've been loving recently.

Forever loving Peeta Mellark
Movies:
Mockingjay Part 2 (This was 100% better than the book. I cried so much.)
Happy Family  (This Italian film is incredibly funny and heartwarming. Definitely check this out.)
Miss Representation (This is a documentary that completely blew me away. It's essentially about sexism in the media and society.)

OTP
TV Shows:
Once Upon a Time (Still reeling from the midseason finale)
Bob's Burgers (Fucking hilarious)
The 100 (I don't think I can possibly tell you how much I love this show)
How to Get Away with Murder (Viola Davis is my queen)
Jessica Jones (Netflix original about a Marvel character. David Tennant, who played the 10th Doctor, is in it and holy shit he's amazing.)
Parks and Recreation (BEN WYATT IS MY LIFE)

WORK
Music:
Hamilton: An American Musical (I'M NOT EVEN KIDDING IF YOU HAVEN'T LISTENED TO THIS SHOW YET YOU HAVEN'T LIVED)

So, I guess that's my week in review! I'm so happy to be back to blogging, especially after the Facebook page hit 500 LIKES this week. I'm very excited for the future of this blog.

Until next time,
Halee 

Labels: ,